The Catherine Kolnaski School Based Health Center (SBHC) is a unique program staffed by a part time Nurse Practitioner Mrs. Janet Cray and Social Worker, Mrs. Michelle Bussolotti. The SBHC at CKMS is run by the Child and Family Agency of Southeastern CT, which operates 17 health centers in New London, Groton, Norwich and Waterford. The SBHS is funded and licensed by the Connecticut Department of Public Health. The United Way of SE CT also provides funding. The program is open to all students attending the Catherine Kolnaski Magnet School (CKMS) whose parent / guardian has signed a registration form and completed the process. The childs insurance company is billed when appropriate services are provided but out-of-pocket fees are waived. If the child does not have health insurance and is eligible for state programs, the staff will assist the family with the application process. The SBHC provides the following services:
· Physical exams for school, camp and sports.
· Treatment of acute injuries and illnesses (such as colds, ear infections, sore throats, and skin problems.
· Prescription and dispensing of medications
· Laboratory testing
· Diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases.
· Case finding and treatment for chronic diseases such as obesity and diabetes
· Crisis intervention
· Individual, family and group counseling
· Referral and follow-up for specialty care.
· Health education (such as classes for children with asthma)
· Classroom presentations, often with school staff.
CKMS has one of the highest enrollments of any school in South Eastern Connecticut.
Need more information? Please call 860-445-2191 or go to the following website; www.cfapress.org .